Submit a tried and true recipe to be shared. Watch for the latest theme and deadline for your submission. You will be sent all the submitted recipes and an invitation to an optional zoom discussion after the publication. Recipes must be typed in a word document or email. Photos or scanned documents cannot be used as the recipe will be copied and pasted into a document. For copyright reasons, Include the source, ie, cookbook, website, author and a short description of where you got it and why it's a favourite. Contact Shirley Humphries for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mac and Cheese – Shirley Humphries
I’ve tried lots of baked mac and cheese recipes, but this one so far has been one of the best. I got the recipe from my daughter-in-law who got the recipe from a friend. The original source is unknown, but it might have been adapted from a Kraft recipe. Watch for Maclaren’s cheese spread in the larger grocery stores.
1 box macaroni or bag
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tub Maclaren’s Imperial Cheese (looks like spreadable philly, but red container)
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter/margarine
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
2. In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in cheeses and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
4. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover.
5. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes uncovered.